Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sights, Scents and Sounds of the Season


Here I am on the cusp of Thanksgiving. Had a great day at work today, very productive…listened to some seasonal music while putting out the Christmas ornaments that came in tonight. It got me thinking and quite frankly, I have to admit that I’ve actually been in the Christmas Spirit since I started listening to Christmas music on or around the 15th of this month. I love Christmas music, I can’t help it, it’s in the blood. My mother used to listen to Christmas Music half the year through to the New Year. Our Christmas tree will likely go up before the end of the weekend, and my Christmas baking might well start sometime soon.
I was driving to work the other day and seemingly out of the blue, snowflakes appeared. It made me smile. Coming home from work that same night, I was noticing that people were having the Christmas lights up on their houses too, once again I smiled. Then I head I’ll be home for Christmas playing on the radio and I cried through my smile. You see, one of my babies is coming home from Iowa where she attends school through the wonderful program called the Job Corps. I can’t even tell you how much I have missed having her underfoot.

Tomorrow morning I embark upon the preparation of our Thanksgiving feast, a feast that I am beyond thankful for, however it is a feast that my oldest natural daughter won’t be sharing with us. She can only fly home for Christmas, and it just won’t be the same without her, though she will be sitting down to a wonderful Thanksgiving feast with my parents and sister. So even though she won’t be with me and my husband this Thanksgiving, I know she will be where she is loved and cared for.
Thanksgiving dinner brings Turkey, gravy, homemade yeast rolls (well, raised from frozen, I’m not a miracle worker you know…lol) pies, mashed potatoes and corn…Oh and let’s not forget the stuffing. I cook for only my immediate family, the hubby and kids…for some strange reason that I can’t fathom, everyone in our holler (the three houses here right together) are family and everyone seems to want to make their own full Thanksgiving meal. Growing up, getting together with family was always something I loved. Getting to sit and eat with my cousins…and sneak in to the “goody” table to ruin our dinner was always something to look forward too. I have a very large family, and they are close knit. I miss being able to be there all the time. I live over 900 miles away from my dad’s family…and about 400 miles from my mom’s family or the majority of it anyway…it’s just a little difficult that I don’t have that here, but I make due. I make the biggest bird I can find (this year it’s a 22 pound bird) and I reheat leftovers for a few days to make up for it I guess.

Tomorrow morning, while preparing my bird, I will have the Macy’s Day Parade on the TV. For those who might not understand my saying Macy’s Day Parade, it’s what I used to call the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade when I was a child, and I guess it just stuck, because even at 41 years of age, I still call it Macy’s Day Parade. I will bake the pies and turkey at the same time…and I will make some pumpkin bread too. I will set the rolls to rise…peel my potatoes then sit back and relax while the house fills with the smells that make your mouth water.
I leave you with this wish, I wish everyone who reads my words a Happy Turkey Day…I hope it is all you deserve and more. Spend time with your family, put up your Christmas lights and tree…get ready for those Black Friday Sales but keep in mind that even though the shopping season gets underway at Midnight on Thanksgiving, take time…to do what really matters to you. Be with your family, they won’t be with you forever.

No comments: