Thursday, May 31, 2012

Katniss and The Hunger Games


Ok, Many of my friends know I went to watch The Hunger Games with my daughter not too long ago. AND you know I was less than impressed with the flick. I thought the book would be better, because many times it is. And I was right. It was better, ONCE you got past those first few chapters which go slower than molasses in January. BUT, once you get that far into the book, it’s one of those that you just can’t put it down.

A few things I should mention is that the media (and we ALL know what the media does and doesn’t do) seemed to have many problems with the movie. One of which was the fact that the actress who plays Katniss Everdeen certainly didn’t have the appearance of someone who would be classified as “hungry”. Well, if ANY of the people in the media that vocalized many times over this paltry tidbit had actually read the book, they would know WHY Katniss didn’t appear thin and ragged and hungry. This is for those in the media and those who have as yet not read the awesome book (and I strongly suggest you do), here is a little bit from Page 94 of The Hunger Games. “I may be smaller naturally but overall my family’s resourcefulness has given me an edge in that area. The meat and plants from the woods combined with the exertion it took to get them have given me a healthier body than most I see around me.”

Also on the same page and a few others, she mentions why some of the other districts “tributes” appeared more healthy. They were called Career Tributes, trained specifically to volunteer for the Games and win. The districts aren’t supposed to train anyone for them, but what “The Capitol” doesn’t know won’t hurt them right?

I have started book two in this series, and All I can say is that it is better than the first. I am almost done with it, and have already bought the third one, so I can start it immediately after finishing off that last page.

Suzanne Collins is a wonderful writer, and even if the series is geared more toward young adults, I do recommend the books for anyone who loves to read. I can’t put the books down, and to think I almost didn’t read them because I thought the movie was so poorly done.

No comments: